Saturday 24 September 2011

Spring Clean

There's been quite a few articles on the big 'Spring Clean' of late; mainly wardrobe change-overs and gardening tips. These are certainly relevant, but as a foodie my 'Spring Clean' today comprised of a mighty pantry clean out!

I removed every single item from what seemed to be Mary Poppin shelves. I was amazed at what I found! I literally have hundreds of dollars worth of food and preserves, I must keep that in mind when asked what my assets are in future.

Once everything was out; sprawled across the kitchen island, shelves, floor, you name it, I thought to myself, what have I gotten myself into this lovely Spring Saturday morning, this job was going to take a lot longer than I thought.

I pre-packed, wiped bottles and jars and said goodbye to a few old friends, but also managed to rekindle a few new ones too. I had a heavenly bottle of Lentara Grove Extra Virgin Olive Oil that lay hidden and forgotten, for what would have been 12 months. I know this because I purchased the bottle from Tamar Valley's beautiful Pipers Brooke Vineyard on my Tasmanian holiday last year. I stumbled accross a few spice duplicates too; let me just say I have enough dried coriander and cumin to last me 2 years..... Anyone for Moroccan?

Yes the 'Spring Clean' took up a fare bit of my time, but at least I know what I have in the pantry now and I certainly feel refreshed, organised and motivated for many cooking adventures this coming Spring/Summer season. Have I given you a sudden urge to give your pantry a big 'Spring Clean'?

No comments: